Saturday, March 24, 2012

War Sestina

In 2003 I protested the war
I made a rainbow peace sign in oil pastel
It said "love your enemy."
Some cars honked, some drivers gave peace signs, others fingers at the base
The middle fingers meant they were against us, the honks and peace signs meant they agreed.
A smart-ass asked, "Love your enemy even if he's a Republican?"

Most of my relatives on my mother's side are Republican.
My father was against the war.
With him I was sure I agreed.
My opinions, juxtaposed with his, were pastel.
I enjoyed the festive, anarchic atmosphere on Gibson street outside the base.
George W. Bush was a convenient enemy.

What does it mean to love your enemy?
New Mexico governor Susanna Martinez wasn't always a Republican.
Police storm troopers with helmets and horses guarded the base.
My family had its own war.
The other side of my sign had a rainbow peace sign in oil pastel.
My gay and lesbian associates agreed.

I only wanted to talk to people who agreed.
Anyone who disagreed was my enemy.
I was an artist with my cardboard sign in pastel.
It wasn't cool to be a Republican.
In my mind, there has always been a war.
There are weapons of mass destruction at the base.

My brother's now stationed at Fort Bliss, his base.
First he asked for Hawaii; the army agreed.
So I got to swim with sea turtles because of the war.
My brother was not my enemy.
I hope he's not a Republican.
I now sketch nudes in pastel.

Art has saved my life through pastel.
They still protest against the weapons at the base.
The new President is not a Republican.
His are policies with which I have said I agreed.
An Alaskan mother with librarian glasses is the new enemy.
Inside me, there is still a war.

Should I have agreed with my enemy?
When the media painted the war in pastel,
What's the basis for not being Republican?

No comments: