Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Self Portrait

I'm working on my self-portrait. It's an assignment for my drawing class. The medium is charcoal. Powder charcoal, charcoal pencil, vine charcoal, compressed charcoal.

It's weird that my other drawing teachers didn't show us all the different types of charcoal. I found out about charcoal pencils on my own. I saw them at Barnes & Noble on New Years Eve and bought a set. I could've got them cheaper at Michaels but I didn't know anything about art supplies back then.

So I'm working on my self-portrait. It doesn't look like me, everyone says. It's too dramatic, too angry. Maybe it's how you want to look, my friend says.

It FEELS like me.

That should count for something.

My drawing teacher will say it would be a good painting.

She said my eyes were following her around the room from the paper while I was working on it in class. Black pupils. Charcoal is black.

No comments: